Friday, October 14, 2016

Do Cyclists Even Blog Anymore?



I don't think they do, but I am going to anyway. The names Scotty Albaugh Jr. I'm a former University of Michigan runner who has returned to cycling after a quick detour through the land of competitive running. I'm am just trying to take cycling as far as I can and hopefully meet some solid people along the way. One warning is i'm new to blogging and talking about my training, racing and personal life through any social media platform, so i'm totally going to sound awkward at first... so please forgive me. The true reason i'm starting a stereotypical cycling blog is I have always wanted to document my highs and lows of training and racing for my own reading later in life.

ABOUT ME:

I'm a 23 year old cyclist focusing mostly on Mountain Biking wth a minor in Cyclocross and Gravel Racing. I work a full time job but still aspire to see how far I can take bike racing. I'm coached by two Michigan legends Mike Simonson: 2006 Iceman Cometh Winner, 3 time Ore to Shore Winner. Trek Factory Team Member, Bells Mountain Bike Team Member and all around good dude. I am also coached by other Michigan Legend THE SIMONSTER: (Mike's much angrier Alter-ego). The two work well coaching me. Mike gives me advice on training, work balance and frequently life. While THE SIMONSTER sometimes keeps me humble by throwing a giant power move 4.5 hours into a 6 hour mountain bike ride with the lesson being that no one is too good to take fueling lightly. While sometimes THE SIMONSTER reminds that only thing that matters is racing fast and not being a dick. I train the most with Mike. We live close to each other, have similar interests and like to train the same way. The other person I frequently train with is my #teamyounggun Teammate Taylor Hunter. We went to highschool together, where we rode a few times. Ended up at Michigan together and now ride together. If anyone saw us at the trails they would think we hate each other. Our rides consist of hard-totally-unnecessary attacks and epic shit talking only second to the worlds largest coprology convention. I currently ride for the Bike and Tri shop. They are the best, http://www.thetrishop.com/. I'm one of those Strava tools. It's not always about the KOM's, I think Strava can be a good training tool for analyzing efforts. Follow me if your interested in my day to day adventures: https://www.strava.com/athletes/scotty_albaugh

CURRENT STATUS/ THE UPCOMING RACES.

Training is going well. I'm fit and have started to taper. The main race of this cycle is Iceman. Leading up to Iceman I will do the Lowell 50 gravel road race and Blommer Cyclocross race in Rochester as a tuneup. Last year I had a solid finish at Iceman after about 6 weeks of bike training. This year i'm looking to get more out of the experience.

Keep the Rubber Side Down,

Scotty.

No comments:

Post a Comment